Tom Sawyer Diner

Harrisburg, PA


  • Adaptive Reuse
  • 1950s era Diner
  • Kamionka Entertainment Group

 

McKissick Associates / Simonton Mansion

Harrisburg, PA


  • 8,900 SF
  • Historic Preservation / Adaptive Reuse
  • 1870
  • McKissick Associates PC

McKissick Associates’ purchased this property in 2003. Located along the riverfront only 2 blocks from the state capitol, our office in the historic 1870 Simonton Mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The rebuilding of the balconies on the front façade and period appropriate paint of all wood elements, using appropriate historical color selections, has restored the exterior. A newly constructed courtyard garden at the rear of the building has enhanced an already beautiful property.

Dill's Tavern

Dillsburg, PA


  • $1.0 million
  • Historic Preservation
  • 1794 (with additions and alterations up until 1819)
  • Northern York County Historical and Preservation Society (NYCHAPS)

McKissick Associates prepared a Historic Structures Report in 2002. We then assisted NYCHAPS with the application for a Pennsylvania Historic & Museum Commission Keystone Historic Preservation Grant, a grant for $70,000 was subsequently awarded. In 2003, NYCHAPS requested that we prepare construction drawings and specifications for restoration construction. This structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hazleton High School

Hazleton, PA


  • 138,500 SF
  • $ 22.5 million
  • Historic Preservation / Adaptive Reuse
  • 1926 Collegiate Gothic School
  • Hazleton Area School District

A study completed in 2003 by McKissick Associates identified this structure for use as a Grade 3-5 elementary and Grade 6-8 middle school, two schools-within-a-school. With demolition of a 1970’s wing the original 1926 plans were completed. Restoration of the 1,200 seat auditorium received a $1,000,000 RACP grant from the State of Pennsylvania. This school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been renamed as the Hazleton Elementary/Middle School.

Lykens Train Station & Coal Museum

Lykens, PA


  • Historic Preservation / Adaptive Reuse
  • Mid-1800s Train Station
  • Lykens Community Development Corporation

McKissick Associates prepared a Historic Structures Report (HSR) with a recommendation to return the structure to its appearance from 1900-1920. Presented in this report was the plan for the historic rehabilitation of the building’s exterior and interior for its use as a coal/train museum, visitor’s center and offices for the local Chamber of Commerce.

Millersburg Train Station

Millersburg, PA


  • $500,000
  • Historic Preservation
  • 1898 Queen Anne Style Train Station
  • The Historical Society of Millersburg and Upper Paxton Township

In 2001, McKissick Associates performed an exterior rehabilitation proposal. It was recommended that the building be returned to the early details from 1898-1920. Federal funding through federal Transportation Enhancement Funds was granted, and our firm was rehired to provide architectural services. The station now has much of its original splendor, with the rebuilt roof, wood repairs and paint, and the complete repointing of the brick. This historic station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Joseph’s Hospital / Reading Citadel Intermediate HS

Reading, PA


  • 550,000 SF over 8-city blocks
  • $58.1 million
  • Adaptive Reuse
  • 1872 / 1893 / 1926
  • Catholic Diocese / Reading School District

In 2005, the hospital announced construction plans for a new building outside of the city, vacating this existing site. Prior to demolition on the site required for construction of a new Intermediate High School, and before the deed transfer took place, religious icons located throughout the building were removed and were relocated to the hospital’s new facility, the St. Joseph’s Medical Center. Most of the 289,000 SF of demolition was of the later mid-twentieth century additions that were deemed unfit for renovations. The five-story stone chapel (1893) & the exterior brick façade of a six floor neo-classic wing (1926) were carefully exposed after nearly 50 years of concealment.

St. Stephen’s Cathedral & K-8 School

Harrisburg, PA


  • 36,300 SF / 5-buildings
  • $3.2 million
  • Eco-Preservation / Adaptive Reuse
  • 1832 Cathedral / 1851 Bishop’s House / 1920s Garage
  • LEED Silver
  • The Episcopal Diocese of Central Pennsylvania

The project encompassed five existing buildings, including the 1832 St. Stephen’s Cathedral and its adjacent, 1851 Chapter House, both designated historic structures in downtown Harrisburg. The heart of the school’s expansion was an unheated concrete frame, brick exterior 4-story garage from the 1920’s. This building was converted into classroom space. A stair tower interconnected the 1840’s structure with the new classrooms. St. Stephen’s was the first church in the United States to register its facilities with the US Green Building Council (USGBC).

Wayne County Public Library

Honesdale, PA


  • 14,500 SF
  • $350,000
  • Historic Preservation / Adaptive Reuse 1869 Foster Mansion (William Howell Foster, original owner)
  • Late Victorian, Second Empire
  • Wayne County Public Library

The Wayne County Library moved its collection of 30,000 books from a cramped downtown location this historic mansion on Main Street. This historic, heavy-timber home needed to address issues of stress loads on areas that would be used for bookshelves, access for the physically disabled and several Labor & Industry codes issues. By working with state officials to reclassify the building’s unique heavy timber construction, McKissick Associates obtained 17 variances to permit use of the 2nd floor for publicly accessible spaces.