McKissick Associates / Simonton Mansion

Harrisburg, PA


  • 8,900 SF
  • Historic Preservation / Adaptive Reuse
  • 1870
  • McKissick Associates PC

McKissick Associates’ purchased this property in 2003. Located along the riverfront only 2 blocks from the state capitol, our office in the historic 1870 Simonton Mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The rebuilding of the balconies on the front façade and period appropriate paint of all wood elements, using appropriate historical color selections, has restored the exterior. A newly constructed courtyard garden at the rear of the building has enhanced an already beautiful property.

Hazleton High School

Hazleton, PA


  • 138,500 SF
  • $ 22.5 million
  • Historic Preservation / Adaptive Reuse
  • 1926 Collegiate Gothic School
  • Hazleton Area School District

A study completed in 2003 by McKissick Associates identified this structure for use as a Grade 3-5 elementary and Grade 6-8 middle school, two schools-within-a-school. With demolition of a 1970’s wing the original 1926 plans were completed. Restoration of the 1,200 seat auditorium received a $1,000,000 RACP grant from the State of Pennsylvania. This school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been renamed as the Hazleton Elementary/Middle School.

Millersburg Train Station

Millersburg, PA


  • $500,000
  • Historic Preservation
  • 1898 Queen Anne Style Train Station
  • The Historical Society of Millersburg and Upper Paxton Township

In 2001, McKissick Associates performed an exterior rehabilitation proposal. It was recommended that the building be returned to the early details from 1898-1920. Federal funding through federal Transportation Enhancement Funds was granted, and our firm was rehired to provide architectural services. The station now has much of its original splendor, with the rebuilt roof, wood repairs and paint, and the complete repointing of the brick. This historic station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Joseph’s Hospital / Reading Citadel Intermediate HS

Reading, PA


  • 550,000 SF over 8-city blocks
  • $58.1 million
  • Adaptive Reuse
  • 1872 / 1893 / 1926
  • Catholic Diocese / Reading School District

In 2005, the hospital announced construction plans for a new building outside of the city, vacating this existing site. Prior to demolition on the site required for construction of a new Intermediate High School, and before the deed transfer took place, religious icons located throughout the building were removed and were relocated to the hospital’s new facility, the St. Joseph’s Medical Center. Most of the 289,000 SF of demolition was of the later mid-twentieth century additions that were deemed unfit for renovations. The five-story stone chapel (1893) & the exterior brick façade of a six floor neo-classic wing (1926) were carefully exposed after nearly 50 years of concealment.

Eagles Mere Historic Village

Eagles Mere, PA


  • 2, 500 SF
  • $2.4 million
  • Downtown Revitalization
  • Mid-1800s General Store
  • Eagle Mere Borough/Eagles Mere Historic Village

The entire town rallied around the renovation of the "General Store" - forming the Eagles Mere Historic Village.  The museum houses a permanent collection of the Borough with exhibits illustrating the communities past and present as well as its lost architectural heritage.

John Harris / Simon Cameron Mansion

Harrisburg, PA


  • Historically Sensitive Addition
  • 1766 / Colonial
  • Historical Society of Dauphin County

McKissick Associates was selected by the Historical Society of Dauphin County to develop a master site plan for the John Harris/Simon Cameron Mansion complex on Front Street. The site plan focused on areas of concern, which included: vehicular traffic, both in and around the site, archival collection storage, museum retail and improved visitor contact.

919 Green Street

Harrisburg, PA


  • Historically Sensitive Addition
  • 1867-1871 / Empire Style Italianate
  • Auchincloss Residence

McKissick Associates was retained to design a large addition and renovation to a brick town house in the Historic Midtown District of Harrisburg. Historically sensitive options were developed, with an effort to retain the beauty of the original structure while offering 21st century amenities in the design. The first is a 2-floor living area in a complimentary historic architectural style with a fenced yard. The second, a carriage house addition, with artist’s studio loft, which was to be located at the rear of the property.

Cochran Elementary School

Williamsport, PA


  • 72,000 SF
  • 760 pupils / grades K-5
  • 1926 / 1999
  • Collegiate Gothic
  • Historic Preservation, Renovation & Addition
  • $8,100,000
  • [1999 project Completed by Vern McKissick, while partner at HLA]

Along with a new addition in 1999, the facade of the curtain wall to an insensitive 1950’s 3-story wing was reconstructed with masonry and trim to blend with the new addition and reference the original 1920’s architecture.

Pottstown Middle School

Pottstown, PA


  • 164,000 SF
  • 1,250 pupils / grades 6-8
  • 1932 / 2000
  • Colonial, Georgian Revival
  • Historic Preservation, Renovation & Addition
  • $16,600,000
  • [Designed by Vern McKissick, while partner at HLA]

Originally slated for potential demolition, the Pottstown Middle School elected to save the building and expand the campus. The 1932 building was restored and updated to accommodate changes made to the educational programs and allow for "teaming" by grade level.