What is Program Management?
The McKissick Associates Construction Program Management team is composed of professionals experienced in helping clients navigate the complexities of commercial & institutional construction programs. We are dedicated to serving our clients in an environment of trust, objectivity and open communication, free from conflicts of interest. MA’s Program Management services have been specifically created to promote the successful execution of capital projects for owners.
Few owners maintain the staff resources necessary to pay close, continuing attention to every detail - yet these details can "make or break" a project. MA provides specific expertise for all facets of the delivery process (pre-bond, planning, design, construction, etc.) without having to retain individuals on the payroll for specific tasks. MA’s professionals can augment the owner's staff with planning, design, construction, engineering and management expertise that can assure the best possible project outcome no matter what type of project delivery method is used.
A Champion for the Owner
In every project, we provide exclusive representation for the owner in their contractual and management relationships with architects and contractors. While our first responsibility is to be an advocate for the owner, we are equally proud of our reputation for maintaining fair and professional relationships with architects and contractors throughout the scope of our projects.
MA professionals strive to give owners more effective control of complex construction, delivering high quality finished projects on time and within budget. We are your advocate, combining detailed technical knowledge with a commitment to meeting your needs. Not affected by any conflicting interest, MA represents Owners in such crucial areas as:
- Master Strategic & Feasibility Planning
- Project scheduling
- Control of the scope of work
- Optimum use of other firms’ talents and resources
- Avoiding delays, changes, disputes and cost overruns
- Optimum flexibility in contracting and procurement
- Assuring the project is built to specification to meet your needs
Project Delivery Systems
MA’s professional program management services can be applied to all types of project delivery systems (Design/Build, Design/Bid/Build, IPD “Integrated Project Delivery”) where MA acts as the owner's principal agent in the management of a construction project or program, where MA is responsible to the owner for managing the planning, design, construction and post construction phases, or portions thereof.
MA represents the interests of the project in its dealings with other construction professionals, and with other private and public entities to ensure that every phase of the project, beginning with the original concept and project definition, yields the greatest possible benefit to owners.
The Planning(or Pre-Design) Phase
In the Planning Phase, MA can help you reach sound decisions in such areas as:
- General project characteristics and performance requirements
- Site analysis and selection
- Lead in forming a collaborative team of professionals
- Coordination with ongoing activities and other public and community concerns to minimize interruptions
- Development of a preliminary budget and comprehensive master schedule
- Apportionment of general funding among a number of individual projects according to specific project needs
- Establishment of a management information and reporting system to meet your requirements
- Development of detailed and complete bid documents to assure timely, responsive and comparable bids, while avoiding questions and protests
- Assistance in reviewing and analyzing bids and selecting contractors
The Design Phase
In the Design Phase, MA can help you:
- Ensure that design is both aesthetically successful and responsive to project goals
- Perform life-cycle cost analyses and other reviews to maximize the return on your construction investment
- Coordinate your technology implementation strategy with your construction plan to assure that your finished project will truly be equipped to support current and future needs
- Develop a detailed design schedule and supervise its implementation
- Review design in progress to assure constructability with minimal changes and fewer problems in the field
- Develop detailed component cost estimates at every design submittal
The Bid Process
During the Bid Process, MA can:
- Conduct pre-bid conferences to clarify the project’s needs and assure responsive bids
- Assure that all bid documents are clear and all questions are answered
- Help you evaluate and compare bids
- Recommend bidders for contract award
While Construction is Underway
MA will be your eyes and ears—and most of all, your advocate. MA will:
- Assure that all contractors, subcontractors and other participants fully understand the project’s design and requirements at every stage
- Deliver timely and clear reports to you concerning construction progress, milestones, and other elements
- Manage the change order process for maximum effectiveness while minimizing delay and costs
- Monitor the construction process to anticipate difficulties, resolve issues early, and keep the work flowing
- Administer progress payments to assure that work milestones are being met and that all current expenses are paid in a timely manner
- Assure that the contractor provides a safe workplace, both for project workers and, in renovations, for individuals who continue to use the facility during construction
- Eliminate the need to retain increased staff after the "burst" of construction activities; thereby reducing future operating and payroll costs when the construction has been completed
- Coordinate the final stages of construction, including contractors’ punch lists and similar tasks that must be completed, often in a very compressed time period, before your project is closed out
The Post-Construction Phase
During the Post-Construction Phase MA can provide
- Expert Witness Testimony
- Forensic Evaluations
- Post Occupancy Evaluations
Public Relations Campaigns
Although MA is not a Public Relations firm, we’ve often assisted our clients with what is often considered traditional Public Relations efforts and have always considered community involvement to be a vital component to a successful project. From the design of letterhead and business cards for a non-profit, to a brochure for the public library, to creating websites, or assisting with Capital Fundraising Campaigns and building 3-D physical models for community meetings, we’ve stepped in to help with all of those needs.